There is no universal standard for PDF files since they can be made with so many different tools and applications. Scanned PDFs are a common example; at first glance, they may seem identical to regular PDF files made in Word, but in reality, the whole content is saved as an image while scanning a paper document. This means that the PDF file you create has simply an image and no text.
A suitable PDF Converter is required here if you wish to convert a scanned PDF into a fully editable and searchable Word document. Information from the image may be recognized and extracted with the help of optical character recognition (OCR). (Keep reading, a surprise waiting for you at the end of the article)
Why can’t I edit a scanned PDF?
If you have a PDF that was created from a scanned document, it means that the PDF contains images of the pages rather than digital text. As a result, you can’t edit the PDF directly in most cases.
To edit a scanned PDF, you’ll need to use OCR (optical character recognition) to convert the images of text into real, editable text. Once the OCR process is complete, you’ll be able to save the edited PDF as a new file. There are multiple converting tools available on the Internet, but we always recommend UPDF to convert scanned PDF to editable PDF.
How to Convert Scanned PDF to Editable PDF with UPDF
What is UPDF?
UPDF is a reliable and secure PDF reader, editor, and converter. It allows you to convert any scanned PDF to an editable PDF document. The OCR converting feature of UPDF is really fast and efficient. It never compromises the quality of the output converted documents.
It has many other features besides converting PDF files. It allows you to edit text and images, annotate, organize, sign and reorder your PDF files. The best thing about UPDF is that it is compatible with Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. You can easily edit and share your PDF files across all these platforms.
Now, let’s take a look at how to convert scanned PDF to editable PDF using UPDF software:
Step 1: Download and Install UPDF.
First, you need to download and Install the UPDF software from the official website of UPDF.
Step 2: Open Your PDF File.
The first step in making a scanned PDF editable is opening the PDF in UPDF. You may access it using the “Drag-and-drop” feature or the “Open File” button.
Step 3: Choose an Editable Format for Exporting.
You can view the different export formats after clicking the “Export PDF” button. Pick a format that allows you to make changes to your scanned PDF. Formats like Microsoft Word, plain text, and PowerPoint slideshows are just a few examples.
Step 4: Turn on OCR Recognition.
In the new box that appears once you select an output format, you’ll find the option to activate OCR recognition. Set the toggle and keep its green color. If you want your document to be recognized accurately, you must select the language it is written in.
Step 5: Create the PDF Editable from the Scanned PDF.
After activating the OCR feature, pick a destination folder by clicking the “Export” button. UPDF will assist you in identifying the text and converting it to the desired format.
What else can you do with UPDF?
In addition to the basic features of opening, viewing, and printing PDFs, UPDF also allows you to annotate your PDFs, convert them into other popular formats, protect them with passwords, and sign them electronically.
- Read PDFs: Reading and editing PDFs are the basic functions of UPDF. You can read and edit any text or images in your PDF document.
- Annotate PDFs: Annotating PDFs is a great way to add your own personal notes or comments to a document without modifying the original content. To do this, simply open the PDF in UPDF and click on the “Annotate” button.
- Convert PDFs: Converting a PDF into another format such as Word or Excel can be useful if you need to edit the document or share it with someone who doesn’t have a PDF reader. To convert a PDF, open it in UPDF and click on the “Convert” button.
- Protect PDF: If you want to prevent others from viewing, printing, or copying your PDF, you can encrypt it with a password. To do this, open the PDF in UPDF and click on the “Protect” button.
- Sign PDF: If you need to sign a document electronically, you can do so with UPDF. Simply open the PDF in UPDF and click on the “Sign” button.